It seems many people are still on summer vacation. Following suit, there will be no CSSSN Board Meeting and no general meeting, BUT your Vice President (Stephenie Thomas) has indicated that she may plan a "meet-up" on premises probably other than the normal garden club building at the Lorenzi Park facility. It isn't certain what she has up her sleeve or when she will make that announcement or invitation. Watch Facebook and email for information. Unless something gets worse, I should see you all in September. A "meet-up" could be fun and can include people that simply have some common interests or curiosities about "CACTUS HEADS." This could be a breath of fresh air.
Consistent with many other Nevada State Garden affiliate Societies, CSSSN will be taking a summer break for July and perhaps August. Many people are enjoying vacations and summer fun. Therefore no meeting is planned for July 7. During July, one of the most striking events will have concluded by July 3. The CSSA show and sale at the Huntington was attended by at least three of our members. I hope to be able to share more than just a photo or two from the event. When some of the photos are shared on social media, they will be passed along to you. Enjoy your hot summer here in Las Vegas. I look forward to seeing you if not in August, September for sure.
51ST ANNUAL SHOW SALE CACTUS & SUCCULENT SOCIETY OF AMERICA HUNTINGTON LIBRARY & BOTANICAL GARDENS
- Dates: Friday, Saturday & Sunday, July 1-3, 2016
- Location: The Huntington: 1151 Oxford Drive, San Marino, CA
- The Botanical Center. Contact 626-405-2100
- Show & Sale Hours: Sale: Friday & Saturday 10:30am-4:30pm;
- Sunday 10:30am-4:00pm
- Show: Saturday 10:30am-4:30pm; Sunday 10:30am-4:00pm
- Show Set-up: Thurs. June 30th, 9am-1pm
- Enter Plants: Thurs., June 30th 1pm-6pm & Friday, July 1, 10:30am-4:00pm.
- Judging starts at 5:00pm Friday
- Auction: Items need to be registered by 3pm, Saturday, July2
- There will be a Silent Auction during dinner and a Live Auction (30 items max.) after dinner. Auctioneers will decide placement of items: 2 items per person/business marked as donation or split.
- Dinner: Dearmore BBQ: $25 per person. Mail checks made out to CSSA to:
- Bonnie Ikamura – 8400 Bleriot Ave. Los Angeles, CA, 90045
- Reservations must be made & paid for by 12noon, Sat. July 2
- Teardown: Sunday, July 3, 4:00pm
Be sure to pick up a Show Schedule & Index from your CSSA Club Affiliate at your next club meeting if you interested in entering plants in the Show or in the Auction.
All Cactus & Succulent Club members, CSSA members, vendors, volunteers or show participants need to wear their club badges AND a special CSSA/HBG pass that reads “ Annual CSSA Show Participant” to enter the HBG for free. If you are a HBG member this doesn’t apply. Please obtain a pass from your CSSA Affiliate at your club meeting or contact Barbara Hall, Show Chair before the event. We are not permitted to hand out passes at the HBG entryway. There are opportunities to participate/volunteer in this year’s show, even for a couple of hours in the showroom or sales areas, hospitality (food) area, information table, holding area, welcome table at the HBG entry & setup/teardown. All participants receive a show T-Shirt as a thank you.
See you at the Show! Barbara Hall, CSSA Show Chair Email: email@example.com Phone: 818-368-6914
Spring is quite busy for gardeners of all different kinds of plants. If you can catch this event, you won't regret it! Top notch speakers, weather and surroundings. Send me pix for the website! At this time, best way to get more details is by contacting the resources mentioned on the flyer at the right.